Chef's Forum header

Search Epicurean.com:
[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Calamari Ceviche

Posted By: Baron Blackfang
Friday, 19 May 2006, at 1:49 p.m.

Ceviche is a dish popular in Latin America and Spain consisting of marinated raw fish or shellfish. It is served cold, usually as an appetizer. Sadly, you don't see it much on menus in the U.S., probably because of the fears of raw fish by Spanish restaurants. The lime juice in the marinade "cooks" the seafood, but doesn't kill bacteria.

Spanish restaurants who do serve ceviche use only fresh-caught fish, usually sea bass, which they fillet themselves using sanitized cutting boards and very clean techniques. The same rules apply if you want to make sushi or sashimi at home. Use only your own fresh-caught fish or buy a whole, fresh fish and at a reliable seafood market and fillet it yourself. Some fish cutters are trained to fillet fish for raw consumption so ask if they can do this job for you if you can't.

The recipe I'm giving you uses calamari, rather than sea bass. If you enjoy squid, I think you will like this dish, as it's a different twist on the usual ceviche recipes. I've also used Nova smoked salmon. Instead of the calamari being completely raw, I'm giving the squid a quick sanitizing in boiling salted water to kill any bacteria that may be present.

1-LB frozen calamari
3/4 cup fresh lime juice
2 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
2 tbs. fresh cilantro, chopped fine
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. dried marjoram
2 cloves garlic, chopped fine
1/2 medium red onion, chopped coarse
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
2 Jalapeno peppers, seeded, chopped coarse
2 red cherry peppers, seeded, chopped coarse
1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded, chopped coarse
2 large fresh tomatillos, chopped coarse
6 large tomatoes, with top and insides removed
several chives
several avocado slices

The day before serving, completely defrost the calamari in the refrigerator. The next day, rinse the calamari bodies and cut into small ringlets. If you don't care for the tentacles, give them to your cat like I do. In a 2 quart bowl, prepare an ice bath using ice cubes and water. Bring 2 quarts of salted water to a boil and add the calamari. Return water to a boil and simmer 5 minutes. Strain the calamari through a colander and quickly plunge the squid into the ice bath. Soak until well chilled. Drain, place in covered plastic container, and store in refrigerator until needed.

In a 2 quart bowl, add all of the ingredients except the calamari and last three ingredients. Mix well and adjust seasoning. Add the calamari and mix. Cover, and return to refrigerator. Allow to marinate for 12-24 hours. Using a slotted spoon, fill each tomato with the ceviche. Garnish with chives and avocado slices. Salud y feliz dias!

--
Fortitudo Et Macto (Strength And Honor)
Motto of the Roman Legions

Messages In This Thread

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Epicurean Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 5.12.

Copyright © 2006 Epicurean.com
All rights reserved