Chef's Forum header

Search Epicurean.com:
[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Give credit where credit is due

Posted By: The Travel Cook
Tuesday, 28 December 2010, at 9:59 a.m.

During my search for the original Chocolate Oblivion recipe, (which I have now located in the Cake Bible) I read literally 50 (probably more) word-for-word copies of the original recipe, none of which gave Rose Levy Beranbaum even a slight nod of thanks or credit for sharing with all of us.

One can tell that this kind of copying is going on since the same errors are repeated over and over. There is an ethical code for using someone's creative work. In Ostmann and Baker's The Recipe Writer's Handbook, p.212, "...three major changes are required to make a recipe "yours." They go on to say that it is simple courtesy to "acknowledge the source of or inspiration for the recipe." Another site that publishes reader's recipes presents the legal copyright information. I have just learned that a list of ingredients cannot be copyrighted, but the description, and all text that follows including the procedure, may be copyrighted if it is your own creative work. That should make the issue pretty clear.

Although, I am sure that none of us mean to imply that an idea we have borrowed is not our own creation, and some blogs I read did give credit, many others did not. I hope to see more of the ethical (than unethical) recipe sharing on this site. Thanks for listening, TheTravelCook.

Messages In This Thread

• Give credit where credit is due
    The Travel Cook -- Tuesday, 28 December 2010, at 9:59 a.m.

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Epicurean Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 5.12.

Copyright © 2006 Epicurean.com
All rights reserved