Here's my version of a recipe made popular by Jimmy Buffet's restaurant in Key West, FL. I made this recipe this past Sunday and the sauce was like you died and went to Heaven. :) About 30 minutes prep time and 20 minutes cooking time. I would say the spicy heat level is mild-medium.
Tequila Lime Shrimp
24 oz pack frozen extra-large shrimp
juice of 2 limes
1 tsp lime zest
1-tbs chili powder
2-miniature bottles (2 oz) of premium tequila
1/2 red onion, chopped fine
4 cloves garlic, chopped fine
1 small stalk celery, chopped fine
2 bay leaves
1 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp sugar
2 fingerhot or serrano peppers, seeded and chopped fine
1 cup chicken broth
1 tsp Italian herb seasoning (you may use cilantro but I just don't care
2 tbs olive oil
1 cup rice
1) Defrost shrimp the day before, drain and rinse in colander.
2) Make steamed rice.
3) Heat olive oil in 4-qt saucier on medium, saute onion, celery, garlic.
4) Add shrimp, season with salt and pepper, saute 5 minutes until shells
5) Add remaining ingredients, mix, cover, simmer for 15 minutes, adjust
6) Serve about 9 shrimp with sauce over rice. Makes 4 servings.